About Me

My photo
You may be unaware that I have been battling with a constant debilitating headache since the end of April this year. To keep my friends and family better informed about how things are going with me, I have started a blog, which includes a history of my communications about my headache, my tests, treatments, and overall well-being. I am hoping to blog at least once a week... You can check it out, read, comment, and/or subscribe...

12 July 2012

CHAMP -- first mass update


Hi there family and friends!

I had my CHAMP appointment today (Headache/Neuro Clinic at the Foothills Hospital).

I saw the first nurse for 15min, the Neurosurgeon (neurologist?) for 40min, and then another nurse to learn how to administer my own medication injections.

The doctor was a classic specialist: very clinical, regimented and judgmental – and very efficient, knowledgeable and determined. She believes that I am suffering from either or both 1. Classic migraine headache and/or 2. Low pressure headache, and while I wait for a further test (CSF Flow Study), I will be taking medication to address both types.

My new medication regimen for the classic migraine will involve twice a day injections of medication (DHE), an anti-nausea pill (metaclopramide) before each injection, and an anti-inflammatory suppository (indomethacin). To address the low pressure headache, I will take a preventative medication (amlodipine) once a day at 5mg for two weeks and then increase to 10mg. I cannot begin this treatment until all of the medicines arrive at the pharmacies. I should be able to pick them up tomorrow afternoon so I anticipate beginning on Saturday morning. 
There are many possible side effects for each of these medications and I am hoping I do not develop any more drug allergies, so Mom will be monitoring me closely. This weekend may be difficult as I suffer withdrawal from the Percocets and adjust to new prescriptions.

The test for low pressure headache is a CSF Flow Study, which involves a spinal tap, dye and tracking the dye through my nerves to see if there is a leak. If so, then I will require one or more “blood patches” (no idea yet what that means). It is possible that the Study itself could cause a severe headache that would require ER attention and a consequent blood patch. ... I think it is likely that the majority of my pain is due to this type of headache as I identify with a lot of the symptoms: increased pain with increased exertion, and relief from lying down. (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/conditions_main/old/low_csf_headache.html)
I will wait for CHAMP to contact me with my CSF Flow Study appointment date. My follow-up appointment to return to the clinic will be in four months. For now, I am to focus on the new medications and continue to track my headache pain, and call the CHAMP nurses if I have any concerns and/or questions.

 So, now am on step one of the CHAMP journey... as I continue my life journey at the same time ... focusing on finding healing right now... I will continue other therapies as well: chiropractor twice a week, acupuncture once a week, next week I’m having lunch with a female Christian counselor, and I will look for another massage therapist.

Feel free to email or message me questions if you have any, and I will send updates when there are any.

Thank you for your love, support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment