About Me

My photo
You may be unaware that I have been battling with a constant debilitating headache since the end of April this year. To keep my friends and family better informed about how things are going with me, I have started a blog, which includes a history of my communications about my headache, my tests, treatments, and overall well-being. I am hoping to blog at least once a week... You can check it out, read, comment, and/or subscribe...

30 June 2012

Headache talks from June emails


June 30, 2012
Things have been tough here. I have been suffering with an extreme, constant headache since the end of April. It averages an 8/10 on my pain scale. I wake up with it. I go to sleep with it. And it will wake me up in the night. I have been in and out of my Dr's office on a weekly basis, and even went to Emerg once -- at my doctor's assistance. I have been going to the chiropractor and acupuncture once a week for the last six weeks, with minimal relief (lasts for up to two hours after each appointment). I went to a massage therapist for three weeks, but he seemed to aggravate it.
I have had bloodwork done, and x-rays, and a CT scan -- they all have come back acceptable - no "weirdness"... but no diagnosis. ... I am healthy, but in excruciating pain. 
I am now taking two Percocets every four hours to try and distance myself from the pain. Ibuprofen worked a little at the beginning, and Tylenol 3s stopped being effective a couple of weeks ago.
I just got notified of my appointment with the Chronic Headache/Neurology Clinic at the major hospital here -- July 12. As I am considered an emergency case, I got in in a month -- the average patient takes 10 months to get referred in.
My dad has come here twice, for a week each time, to take care of me and the girls so that Alex could continue to go to work. Taking care of the girls is a challenge by myself. 
Alex is amazing! He is so loving and supportive, in every way imaginable. He takes over everything when he is home. He is getting exhausted. The girls pray for me to better every night at dinner. 
I am physically and emotionally worn and weary.
And now it seems the pain medication is developing an ulcer in my stomach so I have to be very careful how, what and when I eat... Things are tough.
                                         
June 6, 2012
So my CT scan on Monday was quick and painless. 
Alex has taken the mornings off of work to take me to my appointments as driving worsens my headaches.
Today was my followup with my GP. CT scan was normal. Nothing of concern -- no need for an MRI. The doctor wants me to stop the diet (I've been on for the last 9months) for a week and see if it reduces my pain, but he refilled the T3 prescription too. I have a follow-up appointment with him next Friday. Going back to what my family eats as of today and no more pain meds. Will assess my pain level in three days, then try Ibuprofen and progress to T3s if necessary.
Alex and I aren't really surprised by this conclusion, and we are relieved there was no weirdness on the CT. Going off the diet before reaching the set goal (the scientific BMI says I have 25lbs more to lose) is disappointing to me, but it is fine if it means no headache -- I want my life back! And a 110lb loss is still good... and I keep reminding myself that I've already met my original goals: I smile at the mirror, and I feel I can be a healthy example for our girls.
If necessary (no change in headache over the next week), my doctor will refer me to the headache clinic... and/or send me to the emergency room so I can get an immediate consult with a neuro specialist...

June 1, 2012
I am still suffering from my severe headache. My dad came out last weekend to help take care of me and the girls while Alex is at work. Mostly he has been taking care of the girls and household chores while I rest and try to cope. My Dr has me on two T3s every four hours and a muscle relaxant three times a day -- and that takes the edge off my pain. I've also been going to the chiropractor, massage therapy, and acupuncture trying to find some relief -- so far it has been minor and/or temporary. I have a CT scan scheduled for Monday morning, and hoping to have results by Wednesday. It would be really nice to get some answers and receive some effective treatment...  
So we are really wary about making any set plans as it is possible (likely?) that I'll still have this headache ... which makes anything difficult for me...  

No comments:

Post a Comment