About Me

My photo
You may be unaware that I have been battling with a constant debilitating headache since the end of April this year. To keep my friends and family better informed about how things are going with me, I have started a blog, which includes a history of my communications about my headache, my tests, treatments, and overall well-being. I am hoping to blog at least once a week... You can check it out, read, comment, and/or subscribe...

23 August 2012

More Headache Procedures -- mass email update


Hello again family and friends!
It has been a while since I’ve been in touch with you and let you know how things are going.

The week following my last update, I had a bloodpatch procedure. After consulting with the CHAMP nurses over the phone, the neurologist called me directly and suggested that either I had a CSF Flow leak that was undetected or the Flow Study may have given me a leak. Dr. Eloff set up a the bloodpatch to be done the next day (Friday August 10). 
The procedure went well but did not resolve my overall headache. (The resident who performed the epidural bloodpatch stated that this type would only repair a leak if it was a result of the CSF Flow Study.)  
FYI, the bloodpatch involved an IV for fluids, a different site to remove 20mL of blood, and an epidural needle in my lower back to inject the withdrawn blood – it is supposed to form a type of scab around the spine and stop the leak... if there is one.

So now, as far as I know, all that can be done has now been done. 

I have followed up with my family doctor to discuss my medications and what else I could or should be doing: more bloodwork, other specialists, dietary changes, etc.   His opinion was to defer to the CHAMP neurologist’s expertise in this area, and he says there is nothing more to pursue from his office. My next scheduled appointment at the CHAMP office is in November.
I have been able to see some improvement in my headache. Through weekly massage, much rest, minimal activity, and regular medication, I am able to keep my headache to a 5/10! Praise the Lord! (If I increase activity, reduce rest and/or miss a dose, my headache quickly increases to a 7/10.) Thankfully, we were able to hire a wonderful twelve year old nanny (Emmie) to spend the work week with me and the girls at home for the remainder of August. 
September’s routine is still an unknown and we are discussing what kind of help we need, can find, and are able to afford. I am trying not to worry about tomorrow or next month, and am praying fervently for wisdom, direction, strength, and patience.

Thank you for your love and support and prayers! We have appreciated the many ways that God has touched us through the people upholding us: answered prayers, childcare, many homemade meals and desserts, cards and emails, hugs, and encouraging words. Thank you for ministering to me and my family through this difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment